Thursday, July 23, 2009

Island of Peace in a Chaotic World

As many of you know I earn my living speaking throughout Canada and the USA on Humor and Human Wellness. Frequently I get so wrapped up in my work that I have to stop and take my own advice. I have to stop and smell the roses.

That's what I did recently in one of the most beautiful and relaxing settings on earth for me... a friend's farm in the heart of Ontario Canada's Ottawa Valley.

I sat out on their deck one morning overlooking the valley as the morning sun gently caressed the meadow and a mother bluebird eagerly fed her young at one of the bluebird boxes rimming the field. As I sat there soaking up the peace and solitude I became acutely aware of a different rhythm, one of calmness and oneness with the natural world.

I was reminded of the words of Sigurd Olson, the nature writer, who once said that we all need listening points on the earth where we can slow down and listen to the rhythm of the universe.

This pleasant farm near the little country town of Beachburg Ontario is one of my listening points. It's a place filled with fond memories of country music jam sessions, shared laughter and shared pain. It is also a place of peace, hope and comfort as the stillness of the valley eagerly wraps it arms around those who take time to rest and receive the message that life indeed is good and love is abundant and eternal.

Embracing the Mystery

No comments: