Tuesday, December 11, 2012

In Serious Need of An Attitude Adjustment

I was speaking to 120 Human Resource people last week in a Southern ON city. The Director of HR for an international company introduced me and in her remarks said this about the task of HR people. " Your job is to mitigate the stupidity of others."

I couldn't believe my ears. I was to present on empowering employees, maximizing staff potential, the art of caring leadership, plus humour and positive attitude to create a culture of employment enjoyment and productivity.

In her one statement she told me she was out of touch and needed a serious attitude adjustment. If human behaviour is nothing more than attitude in action I can't help wondering how this woman relates to the people she leads. By the way she has 8 years before she retires.

My presentation was well received by 119 HR people.I really don't know how the Director felt about it. She probably wasn't even aware of the negativity of her opening remark.
 
For more on attitude visit here

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

An hr pro is applying for a job at a large company and is being interviewed by: another hr pro. The employer looks at the prospects resume and says "I don't think we can hire you, your resume says you've worked at jobs hiring programmers who know C, but we hire programmers here who know C++!" Ironic isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. Can you explain? Please?

Mike Moore said...

The task of anyone in Human Resources is to cherish, value and encourage people to achieve their vast, unlimited potential. When they say their main job is to lessen the impact of human stupidity they are far off the mark and should possibly look for work in another field.