Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Customer Service...MY FOOT!!

Just yesterday I was being waited on by a sales clerk at one of the  local mall stores.
While she was serving me the phone rang and she immediately left me standing there while she rushed to answer it.
I stood there with my finger in my ear while she spent at least 5 minutes answering the questions of the person on the line.

When she finally got off the phone she said," I'm sorry." as if that would excuse her insensitivity to a present , paying customer.

I couldn't leave it alone as this has long been a pet peeve of mine. It happens all the time. A phone call takes priority over a present customer.

I very firmly told her that I refuse to accept her apology and proceeded to give her a lesson on customer service ending with my strong belief in the importance of a present, paying  customer over someone miles away who is in no position to purchase anything.

I left the store without making a purchase and,hopefully,with my lesson ringing in her ear.

All she would have had to do is say. " I'm sorry, I'm with a customer right now. Can I take your number and call you back or would you like me to put you on hold?" Simple, effective and fair.

Have you ever had such an experience and how did it make you feel?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to work front desk both in my dorm at college and at a major motel chain. In both jobs I was instructed to give consideration to anyone on the phone because they could not see customers standing in front of me while the customer in front of me could see I was on the phone. I disagreed with this policy and felt that I should be able to put the person on hold while finishing the transaction in front of me. I was told this was not good customer service to the person on the phone. Sad but true, you can get better service if you stand outside or away from the counter and call from your cell phone instead of standing there in person.

JC said...

Yes in the world of retail you are required to answer the phone first, the paying customer second.

Anonymous said...

Good Old Fashioned Customer Service is gone these days. I was ate a very nice Expensive, old fashioned eating establishment. Our waitress was an older woman. My menu stated that my steak was served with a Molasses on it and I asked her to have it left off. When the steak was served it was covered with a brown sauce. I politely reminded her that I had asked her to ask for the sauce to be left off. She curtly told me that "YOU asked for no MOLASSES" There is no MOLASSES in that. I explained to her the menu did not say there was any OTHER sauce other than Molasses on the steak. I also told her that I react to sugar and cannot eat it. She became augmentative instead of making my meal correct. So I, not in the mood to argue during our meal, just said, "Well are you expecting me to just wash it off and risk getting ill?" She finally grabbed a menu and shoved it at me, realized that I was correct and took my plate and brought me a new meal. She continued her arguing her point about how that "glaze was sugar-free"!! So the manager sent over the offer of free dessert!! How ironic!! Free Dessert for to make up for giving me sugar by mistake! We actually got a laugh out of that ONE!!!

Anonymous said...

We all need to follow your lead when this happens. Kudos to you! So, folks, let's enact the Mike's Rule of Customer Service and emulate Mike whenever we are faced with the same situation...

Mike Moore said...

"Sad but true, you can get better service if you stand outside or away from the counter and call from your cell phone instead of standing there in person"

Chris,there is something seriously flawed with this. Don't be surprised to see a cartoon on this in the future. Thanks. Mike

Unknown said...

Funnily enough it is the same in reverse.
I refuse to take a call on a cell when someone is serving me at a counter...it’s downright rude, expect incorrect change or credit charge. I don't expect them to stand their waiting while I converse over the phone.
When I am serving someone and their cell rings: I ask them to stand aside so I can serve someone else.