Monday, February 16, 2015

My Dad's Secret to Being Charming

I remember asking my Dad, when I was 16, how I could become charming. I must admit that my motives were hormonally inspired at the time, but what he said to me has affected my life and relationships ever since. He looked at me and said, "Son, you become charming by making another person feel better about themselves when they are with you." What wisdom!

With my Dad's wisdom ringing in my ears I offer you a few suggestions on how to do just that- make someone feel better about themselves when in your company.

* Be alert for any chance to praise another. William James once said that we all have an insatiable appetite to be appreciated.

* Be fun to be with. Fun has a bonding power over human being. We want to be with people who make us laugh

* Be genuinely concerned about what's going on in the life of the other. When we genuinely love and care about others they find us charming and appealing and are more willing to return the feeling.

* Suspend your agenda in the interest of the others.

* Encourage and affirm your friend at every opportunity. We are the products of those who affirm and encourage us and those who never do.

* Listen twice as much as you talk. That's why we have been given two ears and one mouth.

* Give genuine compliments frequently. It was is Mark Twain who said that he can live for a month on just one compliment.

* Accept the person as they are and not as you want them to be. Our task on earth is to become our best selves not a mirror image of anyone else.

* Ask questions and listen to their answers. There is a difference between prying and being interested. I was once told that my wife, Carol, was a remarkable conversationalist. When I asked Carol for her secret she said that she just asks questions and listens carefully to their answers.

* Be enthusiastic. Enthusiasm is attractive. It makes us feel good about the one filled with enthusiasm and the ones basking in its glow.

* Be a friend without conditions. We have all heard and used the term," unconditional love" but have we committed ourselves to the reality? It is the most powerfully magnetic term in the universe. And will attract people to you like moths to a flame.

There is nothing more flattering or rare than the undivided attention of another. When you give your undivided attention to another they willingly give you their friendship and support in return. Remember, it is more important to be interested than interesting.

Mike Moore is a Canadian motivational speaker committed to the application of Laughter and Positive Attitude on self improvement and human relationships. Want to know more about Mike and his work visit http://motivationalplus.com/cgi/a/t.cgi?mmspeaks

Get your copy of Mike's best selling book Embracing the Mystery ( Living the Life you Want) http://motivationalplus.com/cgi/a/t.cgi?embracing

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Mike_Moore

No comments: