Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Healing Power of the Night Sky

Last night I beheld the full moon in all its magic and mystery. I have always been captivated by the beauty of the natural world. Even as a young man I used to go to the shores of Lake Superior and sit, gazing at the sun sizzling its way into the horizon. It somehow calmed and quieted my anxious spirit.

One of my favourite outdoor authors is Sigurd Olsen. In one of his books he wrote that we must discover listening points in nature where we can be still and listen to and be healed by the rhythms of the universe. This Lake Superior sunset became one of my most significant listening points. In fact I liked it so much that I now include it in my talks on stress management.

I have always had an intimate relationship with the star-studded, moonless sky but when you add moonlight to the mix the whole picture takes on a more serene, soothing, and mystical tone.

I love to lie on a beach when the moon is full and the sky is totally clear and watch the moonlight shimmer across the surface of the water and feel the gentle breeze against my face.

The scene becomes even more calming and comforting when it is accompanied by undulating waves gently caressing the shore. It just seems to strongly connect me to the eternal thrust of time. I become convinced that what I know and love in life will somehow continue through eternity.

As a high school teacher I used to take my senior classes on an overnight retreat once a year. As darkness fell we would move close to the river and light a campfire. There we would sit and sing and laugh and listen to the sounds of the night. Just being together in the outdoors made us aware of our connection to one another within the embrace of nature. It was a wonderful experience and it is my hope that it became, for some, one of their listening points filed in their memory to be accessed later in life to bring peace to their stressful lives.

As I close this reflection the words of Sophocles whisper across the centuries,
" Mortal I know I am... short lived, yet whenever I stand and watch the multitude of swirling stars I no longer tread this earth but rise to feast with God and enjoy the food of the immortals."

With these words echoing in mind I say goodnight to a world bathed in moonlight and send prayerful thoughts to all who walk gently on its surface in love, peace and joy.

This is an excerpt from Mike's popular book, "Embracing the Mystery" (Living the Life You Want) http://motivationalplus.com/cgi/a/t.cgi?mystery

Mike is a Canadian speaker who speaks and writes on humour and attitude in human wellness and potential. To check into having him speak to your group visit http://motivationalplus.com/cgi/a/t.cgi?motplus

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Mike_Moore

No comments: