Wednesday, January 13, 2016

One Enjoyable Way to Cut Stress By 68%

As a speaker, one of my most frequently requested topics is Stretched to the Limit ( How to Manage Stress Using Humour and Attitude). Because of its popularity I spend a good deal of time researching the subject to continue to make my presentations relevant and enjoyable.

In one of my recent research forays I came across this interesting item from a 2009 study from the University of Sussex in England.  This study revealed that just six minutes of reading can reduce stress by 68 percent.

They also determined that reading reduces stress faster and more effectively and than listening to music, going for a walk or sitting down with a nice cup of tea. (Very British)

While it makes sense to me I can't help thinking that it must depend on the type of material you are reading. I can't imagine  feeling relaxed and calm reading a horror or suspense novel.

With the results of this study in mind  I do feel validated in my long held passion  for reading and would encourage  people, young and old, to develop a love of reading if they haven't already done so.

When you consider that over 86 percent of all doctor visits are for stress related problems your health could depend on it.

Laughter alone cuts stress in half. Check this out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes! Right are Sir! Reading realy makes me stress free.


THANKS LOT