Thursday, March 24, 2016

Divorce is Difficult but Often Necessary by Mike Moore


My barber and I have divorced. The separation came after much deliberation and soul searching. I just couldn’t take the doom and gloom another second. (I always seem to hang on to what is familiar even when I know it’s time to let go.)

God knows I hung in as long as I could out of habit and routine, hoping against hope that things would change… but they didn’t. I reached a point where I could no longer sit captive and endure his cynicism, negativity and fear inducing diatribes.

The fact that he would constantly stop cutting my hair then stand in front of me brandishing his scissors and comb while ranting on about something or other and expecting me to agree with him, made the decision to divorce the right one. Thank God there were no children involved.

Finally I couldn’t take it any longer. After he had finished his rant I looked at him and said,” Why is it that after every haircut you give me I feel like jumping off the nearest cliff? I noticed that even those waiting to have their haircut snickered in what I took as agreement.

We have been divorced about a year now and I’m getting on with my life. Things do seem to work out in the end.

If you’re interested in the follow-up to this I have now found a new barber who is more positive, joyful and more pleasant to be near. She can also talk and cut at the same time.

I have finally found happiness.

For more humour

No comments: