Monday, June 06, 2011

Doris Had the Secret to Parenting Teenagers and I Wanted It!

" When I first met Doris she had been recently widowed at the young age of 45.

She was now the single parent of three active teenaged boys and whatever she was doing she was doing right. Her boys obviously loved and respected her and enjoyed every minute in her company.

What was her secret?? I needed to know as I was the father of three sons on the verge of becoming teens and I wanted the relationship with my sons that Doris had with hers.

I thought taking her to lunch would provide the ideal opportunity to tap her parenting wisdom so I extended the invitation and she accepted.

When the moment was right I made my move.
" Doris, you have such a great relationship with your sons. What's your secret? "

She smiled and said, " Mike it's really quite simple.
See everything,
overlook a lot,
change what you can and
know when to shut your mouth and listen."

Doris died much too young but what a legacy she left behind for her family and mine.

I have tried to make her message the core of my family life and my teaching with some difficulty and much success. ( I still have a tendency to want to preach.)

For more info on parenting teens so that you become friends when it's all over CLICK HERE

No comments: