Thursday, March 05, 2015

Mike's Funny Side of Life: Let's Go Home

I tell anyone who will listen that their lives are filled with laughter and fun if we would only take time to notice and enjoy them. The sad fact is that we have neglected the fun side of life for so long that we fail to celebrate it when something funny happens. In so doing we miss out on the physical and mental therapy humour and laughter provide in great abundance. Let me share an example with you from my own life.

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon. You know, the kind of afternoon that shouts to every man, "Let's go shopping for furniture." My wife said we needed a new chair, an ottoman and a painting for the family room and would like to have me there to help pick them out. My powers of decorative selection are known far and wide, I guess.
I reluctantly agreed but pointed out that my bad back precluded any heavy lifting. We would have to get their employees to carry whatever furniture we bought, to our van. Carol agreed saying that the last thing she wanted was me moaning and groaning from back pain.After an hour or three looking we had the items selected and paid for. All that remained for us to do was to get them to the van, then home where our three grown sons could take over.

When I explained my medical incapacity to the sales person she said that the men who did the heavy lifting were out on a delivery and wouldn't be back for quite a while. At this point my misguided masculine pride took over and I heard myself saying something like, "I can handle this stuff. It isn't that heavy. " "Michael, (she always calls me Michael when she goes for emphasis) you will not touch that furniture. I do not want you flat on your back writhing in pain for two months" "But who's going to carry it if I don't?" I asked. "We will," she said, pointing to two attractive, well dressed young sales women.

With that Carol and her squad of power lifters went to work hoisting and carrying the chair, ottoman and huge picture while I, her 6' 3" 200 pound husband, stood watching. We left the store with Carol and her high heeled helpers carrying the furniture while I tagged along behind them looking sheepishly at the six million other shoppers all of whom just happened to be looking directly at me.
It was difficult, but I resisted the overwhelming temptation to explain why I was carrying nothing but my wife's purse. "Let's go home."

Just seeing humour in a situation is almost as effective as the laughter it evokes.

Always take the comic view of life.

Time spent laughing is time spent with the gods.

Mike Moore is a popular motivational speaker who writes and speaks on Humour, Attitude and Human Potential.

This is an excerpt from his Book "Light Up with Laughter" (The Humour and Health Connection) A book you've got to get to make the rest of your life the best of your life.
http://motivationalplus.com/cgi/a/t.cgi?light

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Mike_Moore

No comments: