Friday, March 06, 2015

The Funny Side Of Life: How Garlic Nearly Ruined My Marriage

In the world of herbal medicine garlic rules. It is said to lower blood pressure, promote healing, and subdue inflammation. Everyone is encouraged to consume more garlic either raw, cooked, or in the form of capsules. Garlic, it seems, can work wonders within the human body. It can even repel insects when sprayed on or grown among infected plants. Now that's magic.

It's garlic's power to repel that intrigues me. I recall being told by an experienced outdoorsman that if I ate garlic before going out into the bush the insects wouldn't bother me. I resisted the temptation to ask if it worked on bears in the same way. I like garlic and do want to reap its many health benefits but I can't get past the fact that this wonder herb stinks. Now I know you are probably saying that its smell is subject to the disposition of the smeller. Some cultures love the smell of garlic, but ours doesn't. Besides, when even aphids are repelled by the smell of garlic doesn't that tell you something?

I recently sat beside an obvious garlic lover in a small, hospital waiting room. The odour of garlic emanated from every pore in his body causing me to actually wish that I were an aphid. I couldn't escape the smell in such a small room. It was everywhere. I needed the blood test so there I sat trying not to breathe hoping that those in the room knew that the smell wasn't coming from me.
 
I first started taking garlic in the form of capsules in the early 1980s, having heard of its many benefits and wanting to ensure that I reaped as many of them as possible as I entered mid-life. Taking capsules would surely eliminate any possibility of me smelling like Garth Garlic. The aroma would be non existent if the capsule were swallowed whole. Wouldn't it?

Everything went well for the first couple of days. My wife had no idea that I was on garlic until one night we were both reading in bed. Suddenly I felt the urge to express myself gastrically, and did so silently without fanfare. As the distinct smell of garlic filled the bedroom my wife stopped reading, sniffed discerningly and uttered in a loud, rather disgusted tone, " My god, Mike, you're on garlic. "

You would think that she would support my efforts to maintain and promote optimum health. Wouldn't she also benefit from having a healthy husband live a long, healthy, if not completely odour free life? The word gratitude never passed her lips. Shortly after this episode I discovered odourless garlic capsules and my health and our marriage were saved. Garlic rules!

You've got to laugh!

This is an excerpt from Mike's hilarious book, " Light Up With Laughter" ( The Humour and Health Connection) A book you've got to get to make the rest of your life the best of your life. http://motivationalplus.com/cgi/a/t.cgi?light

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Mike_Moore

No comments: